Hello, everyone. It’s another weekly roundup. Can you believe we’re 8 weeks into 2016? So strange how the time went. Let’s get to it then.
- Over at Dummies.com, Are You Happy? 10 Questions to Figure It Out. I’ve been struggling with feelings of unhappiness- sometimes, outright despair- about some aspects of my life. I took the quiz yesterday while working on this post. I answered Yes to 7 questions, so I guess things ain’t so bad.
- The New Yorker brings us this marvellous piece about TMZ and how they end up with the videos and pictures that celebrities don”t want us to see. TMZ might seem like just another greasy rag tabloid, but they’ve made themselves a force to be reckoned with by breaking some of the meatiest stories in recent times. A few examples:
– Chris Brown physically assaulting Rihanna in 2009- they had those gruesome pictures
– They broke the news of Michael Jackson’s death 18 minutes after he stopped breathing.
– TMZ broke the story and footage of the NFL player Ray Rice punching out his fiancée Janay Palmer in an elevator in 2014.
– They also broke the story, with surveillance footage, of Solange attacking Beyoncé’s husband, Jay-Z in an elevator.
- I do a lot of inter-state commuting by bus. I sometimes wonder: if (when) I get a car, would I drive the long distance alone, or would I go to the bus park and pick up one or two sane-looking people to join me for free? I just found out about GoMyWay, a website that links passengers with drivers who might be looking for free or paid company. Because I’m a woman with a healthy fear of getting murdered, I clicked on the Trust and Safety tab:
I will be travelling alone because people are disgusting axe-murderers.
- Zikoko is Nigeria’s BuzzFeed: total clickbait, hilarious and occasionally informative. 25 Tweets About Nigeria’s Exchange Rate That Will Make You Laugh Out Loud
— The Life of Tobz (@Lapsy09) December 16, 2015
Over at the Huffington Post:
- Viola Davis:
It’s like going over an ocean that’s blue and green and you can see clear to the bottom, you can’t even believe it, it takes your breath away,” Davis told The Huffington Post when asked how she feels looking back on her journey. “It’s that same sort of feeling I get when I think of growing up in an apartment that was on the third floor of a building that was rat-infested … I always just dreamed about having a home with a spiral staircase, or I just thought about having a husband and three meals a day or opening up a refrigerator and seeing food. They were really simple dreams.
- Police Hunt For Man Traveling The Midwest And Stealing Rogaine: The suspect, who is bald, reportedly has taken thousands of dollars of the hair-growth formula from multiple stores. 😀 😀
- Over on the home planet, here’s an older, still relevant post asking “How Soon Is Too Soon?” to talk about our medical liabilities when dating, especially about sickle-cell disease, which is very prevalent in Africa.
Enjoy the links, and have a quiet weekend!